Bitter Honey



Everything Beautiful Has a Price.

     Reminded of the waves of chaos in my life as the honey Jack Daniels hits the bottom and side of my glass I take a whiff of the contents of my glass and in no time I am soon overcome by my lust and press my lips firmly against the firm roundness of the glass welcoming the flow of liquor as the ebbing tide of good old jack begins its journey downstream. 

     Deep within the golden depths I stare, a constant search for solitude; maybe I’ll find the peace I desperately crave within or maybe only my reflection dwells within looking back aloof. 

     I come back up to the surface for air like a swimmer, eager to get just enough air to ensure my survival but way more eager to bless myself with the hallowed contents of my cup and in no time again I am back in the depths.
     
     Within moments I begin to recognize the familiar feeling of lightheadedness and the shackles of home training slowly being unfastened, I become a stranger to virtue and all my problems seem alien to me. I feel my head cocked at an unnatural angle maybe that is why I can’t seem to stop my words from coming out of my mouth. I am on eagles wings beneath the clouds but high enough to touch them, humanity suddenly doesn’t seem so bad to me. But soon, as quick as it started it ends, I am brought back down to earth abruptly like Icarus surrounded by my problems and as the film clears from my eyes I frantically grasp to hold on to the dying flickers of a surreal world with the promise of peace even though but for just a moment longer.

E.D.

Comments

Popular Posts